Thursday, December 08, 2005

Tourist day

My cousin Jeffrey came to town for about 24 hours so today I played tourist with him. We started the day at the Empire State Building. My, it was like going to Disneyworld. We stood in various lines for an hour before we finally made it to the top. It has been about 15 years since I was last up there and I don't remember it being such an arduous process. Nevertheless, it was fun to get a bird's-eye view of the city and I think Jeff enjoyed it.

From there we walked - alot. We were making our way to Strawberry Fields to pay our respects to John Lennon who was killed 25 years ago today. It was really something to be there, standing and staring at The Dakota. I was six years old when he died and I can actually remember it. I think it is was my entry into the world of collective loss and memory, along with the explosion of the Challenger, the fall of the Wall, etc. Those events that you celebrate or mourn with so many others in the world. So there I was today, 31 years old, with my 18 year old cousin who hadn't even been born when Lennon was killed but who found himself close to tears to be there. I called my mom to tell her where I was and that I was paying respects on her behalf. It was pretty crowded but I guess the real crowds form later in the day as it gets closer to the actual time he was shot - shortly before 11pm. I'm sure it will be beautiful and there will be lots of people around, but I think I will go back and pay my respects later when I can actually be quiet for awhile and reflect.

After lunch we walked back through the park, down 5th Avenue to Grand Central Station where Jeff was catching his train back to CT. I realized that I had no memory of being in Grand Central Station. It's really beautiful and it instantly conjures up all the romance of riding a train. It's so much more civilized than driving everywhere and I wish there were more trains around the country.

I'm now back home, in from the cold. I've had a nice mug of hot chocolate and am looking forward to a quiet evening at home after my satisfyingly touristy day.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home