Wednesday, May 02, 2007

Brother, can you spare the time?

Since having Theo I have pretty much stopped wearing my watch because it's hard and I don't want to hurt him with it. So, I rely on my cell phone to tell me the time. But, as is the case for most of us, I occasionally forget my phone. Now, I am a very punctual person so I am a little obsessed with always knowing what time it is. Throw a baby into that personality type, and I have to know how long it's been since he last ate, slept, etc. so I can make sure I am responding to his needs correctly. Funny enough, people in New York seem to be possessive of their ability to tell time, even to a young mother with an adorable baby. This morning was an instance of forgetting my phone. I was trying to make it to the library for story time which starts at 11am. On my way there I noticed a shopkeeper opening up and I spotted a large watch on his wrist. Perfect. I politely asked him for the time and he gruffly told it to without even looking at me. Okey dokey then. However, my favorite story is the time I took the wrong subway with Theo strapped onto me in the carrier. It was getting late and I knew he would be hungry soon. There I was standing on the platform waiting for the train to backtrack my way from Queens (ugh) when I saw a businessman and his watch. I said "Excuse me, do you have the time?" He said "no, sorry" and walked away down the platform. I thought, wow, does he think I can't see his watch? Maybe he's agoraphobic and doesn't deal well with strangers. Then it occurred to me: I think he thinks I said "do you have a dime?" I laughed to myself when I realized that and then I quickly became humbled, embarrassed and then ashamed. I had a glimpse into what it must feel like to have to ask strangers for money and to be blown off so pointedly. It was a new experience for me and one I clearly have not forgotten. I saw Ellen Burstyn being interviewed once and she talked about being homeless while researching a role. She said the thing that made her so sad was when a woman gave her money but didn't look her in the eye. She said it made her feel sub-human. Every since then I make an effort to look those asking me for money in the eye even though I am telling them "no, sorry". And, the next person I asked for the time, I said "Can you tell me what time it is?"

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home