Wednesday, January 02, 2008

Happy 2008

Once again, my good intentions have not translated to my blog. I truly do think about writing something every day but then I run out of time during Theo's nap or I get caught up in cleaning, cooking, etc. and I forget. But it's a new year and while I don't want to commit to an actual list of resolutions, per se, I do have a mental list of things I would like to do better this year. Among them:
  1. Be a better blogger
  2. Write more snail mail to friends and family
  3. Be a better housekeeper
  4. Find balance in my life as a wife, mother, friend, person
  5. Stop biting my nails - for real this time
Our holidays were good. We didn't travel at all. As Christmas approached Rich and I began to doubt whether we had made the right decision in not visiting family this year, but all we had to do was think about all the airports we avoided and our doubts were instantly vanquished. On Christmas Eve we invited a neighbor over for dinner. She is in her 70s, widowed with no children of her own and she absolutely dotes on Theo. We gave her a framed picture of him and she was over the moon about it.

On Christmas Day we woke up early and dove into the many presents we were blessed with from our families. Theo got a Tonka dump truck, a new boat for the bathtub, some blocks, some clothes and a new winter coat. I gave Rich a sweater and the complete Twin Peaks DVD set. My big gifts were a massage and tickets to see Baryshnikov performing 4 Samuel Beckett shorts at New York Theatre Workshop this Saturday. It was also a Christmas of updating for me: my first new purse in two years, my first new wallet in at least two years, my first new slippers in probably 4 years. I am hoping 2008 will be a year of rejuvenation for me. I feel a bit like I have been lost in the fog of motherhood so I am trying to be more aware of who I am and what I project into the world. I have a lot I want to accomplish but sometimes I feel like a total schlump and it gets me down. This year I am hoping to gradually make some improvements on myself - internally and externally.

Christmas afternoon Amre came over and we cooked a veggie shepherd's pie, brussel sprouts and butternut squash. It was yummy, yummy and so good to have Amre here.

The week between Christmas and New Year's was slow and easy. Rich worked minimally so we had a lot of time together. We took Theo to see the tree in Rockefeller Center and walked to Chelsea Market along the Hudson River Park where Theo marveled at all the helicopters going to and from the heliport further up the river. New Year's Eve, Deana, Mike and Anabelle came over for a slumber party. We cooked curry and pie and I missed the stroke of midnight because Theo woke up at 11:58pm and needed to be comforted back to sleep. Oh well, I guess it's just a time of day.

So now here we are. A new year already. Where did 2007 go? It was a good year for us. Our first full calendar year with Theo. We traveled a lot and already have some trips planned for this year: Greece in June and Seattle for most of the month of August. In a couple of weeks Theo and I are going down to Austin to visit my dad, stepmom and Kat while Rich attends a conference in Barbados, the lucky stiff.

So here we go into another year. I look forward to what it will bring us.

1 Comments:

Blogger Kat Candler said...

I can't wait to see you and the boy. We'll start the year off with lots of hugs and train rides through Zilker park.

02 January, 2008

 

Post a Comment

<< Home