Tuesday, October 23, 2007

It's so easy

It's so easy to second-guess oneself as a parent. In general, I think I do a pretty decent job as a mom, but it doesn't take much to make me question myself. Theo has been cleared to start drinking whole milk now that he is one. The problem is that he hates it. He refuses to drink it. Yesterday I got all cocky thinking I had solved the problem: I'll make him a milk smoothie! I threw some strawberries and milk into the blender and then proudly served it to my son. I got the same turned up nose I've been getting for the last week. He's also stopped eating as well as he used to and he definitely rejects the things I cook him myself. Here I am trying to be supermom, making my kids food, and he hates my cooking already! All it takes is one comment from a mom with a great eater and my self-confidence is crushed. I'm friends with another mom in my building whose son is a few months older than Theo. One afternoon they stopped by and her son was clutching a scallion pancake she had made. Yesterday at the playground she mentioned that her son had eaten a giant bowl of grits. Grits! Theo would spit grits right out of his mouth. It's so frustrating. He won't even eat pasta for goodness sake. I thought all kids ate pasta! I am trying to tell myself this is a phase and that soon he will begin to like more food. Of course, it also puts more pressure on me to be a better cook. The older he gets the less I will be able to fall back on jarred baby food which he will still gobble up.

Well, guess I better go get started on my next attempt: broccoli and cheese sauce.

1 Comments:

Blogger Stacy said...

Yeah, this is a weird one. The thing is, they really will eat when they are hungry and mac and cheese aren't that bad...not anymore. And soon, you can get him to make them with you, thereby sealing the
"Theo feeds himself" stage.
And don't forget broccoli forests...just broccoli stuck in a baked potato to look like trees, but hey, it works!
xoxo
Stacy

24 October, 2007

 

Post a Comment

<< Home