Monday, April 07, 2008

Evil

This is a Samoa Girl Scout Cookie. It is hands-down my favorite GSC. Earlier this year when I was in Austin, Kat informed me that they started making ice cream flavors for GSCs. I flipped. I started imagining what Samoa ice cream would taste like. Would it be vanilla ice cream with swirls of caramel and chocolate mixed with coconut or would it just be vanilla with chunks of the cookie? (I was hoping for the former although my friend Deana's fantasy was about the latter). I couldn't find this ice cream in New York. I know, New York City - what can't you get in New York City? Girl Scout Cookie ice cream apparently. Then I went to Jacksonville to see my mom and I told her that when we went to shopping, we had to look for it. Good old Publix. There in the ice cream section was one last gallon of Samoa ice cream. I was dancing in the aisle I was so excited. Fortunately, the ice cream did not live up to my fantasy. I say fortunately because if I can't get it at home, I don't want to be dreaming about it anymore (yes, I actually had a dream about finding this ice cream). It was a combination of both my fantasy and Deana's. It had the swirls and the coconut but also chunks of the cookie. Ultimately the downfall was that it just wasn't high quality ice cream. It would have been better if Ben & Jerry's had done it instead of Edy's.

With my ice cream fix out of the way, I put Girl Scout Cookies out of my head. Girl Scouts don't hang out on the corner hawking their wares, at least not in my part of Manhattan, so it's been pretty easy. I thought GSC season had come to an end. I thought wrong. I met Miss Karen for brunch yesterday and she says "I have a present for you." What does she pull out of her bag but a box of Samoas. Damn you Karen Browning and God bless you! Now, the damn things are sitting on my kitchen counter staring at me. First ingredient: sugar. Second ingredient: partially hydrogenated vegetable oil. Yeah baby. Yesterday I limited myself to one. Today, I've had two which is my absolute limit for one day. Rich said "you shouldn't eat those things" but what's a girl supposed to do?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home