Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Reality TV "celeb" sightings

I am going to avoid the fact that I haven't written in two months and I am also going to avoid the temptation to A) write an update on the last two months and B) make excuses for the last two months. Instead I am going to dive right in to something fun.

I don't watch much TV these days and when I do, it's recorded on my DVR so I can avoid commercials. Two shows I do confess to watching though are reality TV shows: Project Runway and America's Next Top Model. PR is just a downright great show that really puts designers to the test - not always fairly - but it tests their chops nevertheless. ANTM is a simple guilty pleasure. I enjoy watching what crazy thing they will think of next for these young women and stand amused at how much drama they can create over such silly things. Last week they made the girls wear clothes made out of meat while posing in a meat locker full of meat. I couldn't believe there wasn't a vegetarian in the bunch who would freak out and refuse to do the shoot. The most drama we got was "Ooo, gross! Meat is touching me!"

ANYWAY, last week I had to go pick up our poor little Lucy from the vet after she had some yucky teeth pulled. There I am in all my mama-glam (re: hair pulled back with a full halo of frizz, a big puffy winter coat, sneakers and my constant accessory, a stroller) when I spot Chris March, one of the top four designers from Project Runway! I thought he was great and I would have been delighted if he had won the whole thing. But, he had to battle it out with Rami, another talented designer, and Rami won. So I see him standing next to the Barnes & Noble on 5th Avenue looking at his phone and I was just so excited that I reached out and touched his arm (I know, I know, probably totally creepy and completely against the rules of celebrity engagement) and said "I love you! I think you're great." I got a half-smile and an annoyed "Thanks." I tried not to take it personally because I'm sure he has been getting plenty of that since PR ended its season but I was really embarrassed that I had actually said something to a "celebrity" and had been so spurned. Lesson learned.

My next spotting came this past weekend at Chelsea Market. Nigel Barker, fashion photographer and judge on ANTM, was there with his beautiful wife and son, watching a kids' musician play. A friend I was with spotted him first because she has seen him there before. First of all, he is gorgeous in-person as well AND he is about 6'5"! I had no idea he was so tall. When they left, he walked past my friend and I carrying his son and we both looked at each other and sort of patted our hearts and I mouthed "he is so dreamy." Then we look and there is his wife pulling up the rear looking at us with a very polite and rather amused smile on her face. Embarrassed? Check. But, we figure she sees it all the time so who cares.

Alright, so there is a doozy of an entry. I also recently had a relative stranger confess that she googled me and read my blog so now that I am reminded of the fact that more than about three people read this thing and that those people are not the same ones who have known me for more than half my life, I am going to try to get back on the stick with this blog.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home