Monday, January 14, 2008

Look at me go

Yet another goal of mine for 2008 is to see more theatre. So far, in just 12 days, I have already seen two shows, have tickets to another and was invited to yet another at the end of the month. That means for January I will have seen FOUR pieces of live theatre.

The first show I saw was a Christmas present from Rich (with prodding from me). It was a performance of Beckett shorts at New York Theatre Workshop starring Mikhail Baryshnikov. I had posters of Misha on my wall as a teenager - three actually, including a door-size one - so I was just happy to be there. It was a good production, not life-changing in any way, but I really appreciate Beckett. I was Lucky in a production of Waiting for Godot several years ago. It was the fringiest of fringe shows, hardly anyone saw it and in the end, I don't know if it was that good. But I absolutely loved the challenge of playing that role. If you don't know the speech, go here to read it (it's the big paragraph in the middle of the page). Now that I feel I have "studied" Beckett to some degree, I want more. He seems to be having a major resurgence in popularity, too, because the show I am going to see at the end of the month is BAM's production of Happy Days.

Last night Amre and I went to see Disinformation at the Public's Under the Radar Festival. My friend Tommy directed it and the primary performer was another former Seattle resident, Reggie Watts. It lacked the cohesive vision I think it was trying to create, but the bits and pieces on their own were terrific including a show-stealing dance piece by another Seattle performer, Amy O'Neal.

Wednesday night I am going to another show at the Festival, this one by writer and performer Dael Orlandersmith. We produced two of her shows when I was working at ACT and I just love her. Her writing is incisive and human. This current piece is a work in progress so I don't know what to expect but I am excited to see her perform again. And just so, so excited to be getting out and experiencing the art form that I love so much and that gives me so much inspiration.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home