Friday, January 04, 2008

Could it happen?

Four years ago I watched Barack Obama give the most stirring speech I think I have heard from a living politician. I encourage you to re-read it here. That night I looked at Rich and said "That man is going to be the first black president of the United States." Last night, he won in Iowa. Granted, last time around John Edwards won in Iowa and we see where that got him - back in Iowa this election season and coming in second. However, Obama's win last night has me excited and wondering. Could it really happen? After all the trauma and turmoil black people have endured and continue to endure in this country, could we really elect a black man as president? What an amazing accomplishment if it really happened. Of course, the thought is also followed by fear - would he make it through an entire term? Would some insane racist destroy his vision and leave us all wondering, like with Kennedy, "What would have been different if he'd had the time to make things happen?" What would an event like that do to our country? Leaping ahead, I know. And, as Kelly will appreciate, already imagining the bad scenarios. But I also have so much hope. So much hope that this country will finally do something right on this political landscape. No, this is not an endorsement of Barack Obama. In fact, I don't even know how I am going to vote in the NY primary next month. But I know that I am excited and that having him in this race gives me hope.

1 Comments:

Blogger kelly rae said...

john said the same thing to me that you said to rich. he gives us hope to. it would be awesome.

04 January, 2008

 

Post a Comment

<< Home