Tuesday, January 15, 2008

"Bad-Mommy Brigade"

I just read this article in New York Magazine today. While I don't personally agree with some of her points, so much makes sense. The writer quotes another author as saying we stay-at-home moms are "making pre-Betty Friedan choices in a post-Betty Friedan world". That hit it for me. She then goes on to talk about the sense of unfulfillment that comes with being a stay-at-home mother and it really resonated with me. I don't feel that I am a Bad Mother because I don't meet the expectations of a Good Mother as defined in this article. I am a good mother because I do the best I can but it is very easy to make me feel like a bad mother since I am always wondering if indeed I am doing my best. It's a question every parent asks of him/herself, even the ones that do all the volunteering, baking and still somehow keeping a clean house. It was never my girlhood dream to be a Mommy. I love being one and what Theo has brought to my life is immeasurable, but there are still those unfulfilled dreams lingering out there and those are the things that nag at me when I am mindlessly saying to Theo for the eight millionth time, "yes, I see the truck". I think anyone who has ever had any ambition and has children before that ambition has been fulfilled really struggles with this same thing. I am grateful to have read this article because the author really articulated some of my thoughts for me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home