Thursday, March 20, 2008

My battle with the kitchen

I am not a particularly good cook. This has always been annoying to me but now that I have a child I have to cook for it's downright frustrating. It doesn't help matters that I am a vegetarian and we are not raising our son as one. All these moms who cook chickens and meatloaf for their kids can eat the same thing for dinner or, if their child looks at them and throws it on the floor, they don't think to themselves "Wow, I'm so glad I stuck my hands in ground cow's flesh to cook you a meal only to have you refuse to eat it". Getting Theo to eat pasta was a minor victory but now I have come to rely on it too much. He'll eat the noodles with butter and salt but I still doubt he will go for something as complicated as ravioli. Tonight I might try a small frozen pizza to see how that goes over. I once tried an English muffin pizza and I ended up eating that myself. If he'll eat a frozen pizza then there is hope I might be able to experiment getting some vegetables in him.

Then there is the food for Rich and me. What to cook for us? I have all these cookbooks but I get so bored with them and some of the recipes are so complicated. I also hate taking the time it takes to make a really good meal. If I can't cook the same meal for Theo and for us, that means I'm not cooking our dinner until at least 7 which means no dinner until at least 8 and by then I am ravenous. I've always said that if I had enough money to hire staff, a personal chef would be one of my first indulgences.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home