Thursday, May 17, 2007

Reflections on Mother's Day

Does anyone else note the irony here that it is four days after Mother's Day and I am only just now getting around to writing about it? My first Mother's Day was a great one. Theo woke up at his customary 6am but after I nursed him Rich took him then before I knew it, Rich was coming back to bed while Theo took his morning nap (usually about 1-1.5 hours after he wakes up) and then next thing I knew Theo was waking up again and it was 9am! I love Mother's Day.

After coffee and breakfast we took our new jogging stroller out for a spin. This stroller is a joint Mother's Day/early Father's Day gift. Now that the weather is nicer and Theo is old enough, we can get an exercise plan in motion. For me, it's about getting motivated again. For Rich, it's a chance to take the baby out and get exercise in the process. Theo is still getting used to his new digs but he crashed out in it before we got home on Sunday so I think that's a good sign.

We ate lunch while Theo napped and when he woke up we got ice cream and took him to the playground. Before I knew it it was dinner/bath/bed time and we had the rest of the night to ourselves. It was such a good day I was sad that it was over.

The past week I have been working on focusing on finding/asking for some "me" time. I have been to yoga three times in the past week (once with Theo which was interesting) and am planning on going tonight. I feel so much better after class - rejuvenated, lighter and less creaky - so I am determined to maintain the habit. Getting myself running will be a much harder task, not only because I am not a great runner, but because I have to figure out the best time to do it with Theo's schedule. Do I time it so that he naps during the run or when he is more awake? If I do it during nap time will he then start needing the stroller for naps? Will he always associate the stroller with naps so he'll fall asleep in it even when I don't want him to? In the big picture, not complicated questions, but things that are easy to fret about when one has dedicated as much time as I have to getting my child on a good sleep schedule.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home