Saturday, June 07, 2008

"18 million cracks"

It's official: no woman president this time around. For me, there is something unbelievably sad about coming so close to seeing it happen. I'm confident I will see it in my lifetime but I had a lot of hope for Hillary. In my childhood I was surrounded by feminists and while I was taught there was nothing a woman couldn't do, as I grew older it became apparent there would always be more hurdles to overcome. The prospect of seeing a woman lead this country before I even turned 35 was remarkable to me. As Hillary said in her concession speech, we must remember how far we have come. We are only two generations removed from a time when women couldn't even vote.

Thanks for paving the way Hillary. Thanks for being an example to so many women out there and to so many girls and young women. Thanks for pounding away and putting those cracks in the hardest glass ceiling of them all. Let's hope it's not long before it's shattered.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home