Friday, July 11, 2008

Finally



I finally watched the last two episodes of The Sopranos last night. I was prepared with my fear filter because some of the earlier episodes in the final season were very hard to watch. Some because of the violence and some because it was hard to let beloved/hated characters go or watch the ones I had hope for do something heinously unbelievable. As much as I can't stand to watch anything violent, I loved this show. It was so unbelievably well-written. The characters so complex. In one episode I could go from laughing at Carmella to being disgusted by her to feeling sorry for her. Edie Falco made that character. As an actor, I was consistently amazed by her ability to play Carmella without a hint of caricature or self-consciousness. She could be irate at Tony for his gangster ways but turn into pudding when he bought her an expensive watch. I loved watching Carmella and Tony manipulate their children without even realizing they were doing it and watching the whiny spoiled brats easily drop their angst in exchange for a set of car keys.

I won't spoil anything in case anyone reading this hasn't seen it, but the series finale was building to such a wonderful place in the last moments. I was so close to saying aloud "this is the best series finale ever" - a final look at the beloved Soprano family, a cheesy but awesome soundtrack making me want to laugh and cry, suspense up to the very last moments - when it ended abruptly. No Country for Old Men abruptly. I know I'm way behind, but I might have to spend some time reading old online discussions about this in an attempt to find my own closure.

So, farewell Soprano family. Thanks for a terrific seven years.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home