Monday, January 23, 2006

What's important

When I logged on today I was going to write about spending 7 hours in a sports bar in Brooklyn watching football and being sad that I'm not in Seattle to celebrate the Seahawks first Superbowl appearance. But, before I wrote my own entry I caught up on everyone else's and suddenly realized - who really cares? I started this blog as a way to chronicle life in this city and have been hesitant to write too much personal stuff because while I think it's mostly my friends reading this, you never know who may be trolling the blogs and being a private person, I refrain from spilling too much from my soul.

But, I read Kelly's blog about the medium knowing all about her dad's passing and immediately thought of my Granny who died almost 6 years ago and how I often think she is a guiding force for me, my guardian angel. Morning John started playing "Goodbye" by Steve Earl and that only feeds the introspection and reflection. I read Karen's blog and started thinking again about Why We Fight. It was so weird to go from seeing that movie to watching football and, of course, all the commercials that go along with it. Why We Fight boils it down to money. The military industrial complex has become so pervasive and far-reaching that our economy thrives on it to the point where even well-meaning politicians have to vote for military spending because cuts could mean a loss of jobs in their states and then they won't get re-elected. Rich and I have started talking again about how and where we can get involved. Do we do something that's more political in nature like volunteer for a local politician or do we do something that will just help those that aren't being helped by our government, like volunteer at a homeless shelter or for Habitat for Humanity? Habitat has long been a favorite group of mine. I have also always wanted to work for literacy programs, in particular reading with kids. If you can introduce kids to a love of reading early on, it will stay with them for life.

Then there was Kat's blog. That girl. If Kat is your friend, you will always have your own personal cheerleader. I can't wait to see jumping off bridges. I wish, I wish, I wish I could go to the South by Southwest premiere in March. But, I am going to Austin in mid-Feb for her bridal shower and since I don't currently have a job, spending money on two plane tickets in a 30-day period seems a little excessive.

I am constantly inspired by my friends. I don't know what I would do without them.

1 Comments:

Blogger kelly rae said...

I care! i feel the same way about writing some of my blogs. sometimes it just doesn't feel all that important. but when you are so far away from family & friends, the small, insignificant things add up to your life. it's in the details and when you miss someone, you take what you can get,right? i'll take your stories about sitting in a bar watching the Seahawk's game anytime. by the way, portland is very excited for the seahawks. we're sad you're not here to help celebrate!
xoxox
kelly

23 January, 2006

 

Post a Comment

<< Home