Thursday, July 20, 2006

Explosions in the sky

Rich and I live on the 15th floor of a building right in the middle of Greenwich Village just two blocks from Washington Square. Our apartment faces south. I wonder sometimes if they were still there, if we would be able to see the WTC towers from here. A lot of our view is blocked by still taller buildings but we are fortunate to actually have something of a view. One surprise benefit of our view? Random fireworks displays being set off somewhere along the Battery at the southern end of Manhattan. I think we have probably seen about 4 fireworks displays and that doesn't count July 4th (I don't know if we could have seen any because we were watching the mid-town ones from a roof deck on the Lower East Side). Last night Deana was over because I was helping her stuff her wedding invitations. I started hearing some booms so I asked Rich to look out the window to see if we could see anything (sometimes they are too low or too far east or west for us to see more than the accompanying colored flashes). He immediately said "You've gotta come see this". We walked over and were treated to a good 10 minutes of AMAZING fireworks. They didn't last as long as the 4th but the quality of the 'works was definitely comparable. It was so spectacular to be standing in our living room on a random Wednesday night watching this incredible display. I have no idea what they were celebrating and that's part of the fun. Sometimes you can make up your own reason. Last night I offered up the possibility that the UN had somehow brokered peace in the Middle East. A girl can dream, right?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home