Monday, July 10, 2006

Music quiz

I was reading Mandy's blog (she is part of Kat and Karen's Austin crew and I like her very much) and she had this music quiz that she had lifted from someone else's blog. It looked like fun so I have decided to participate. The first instruction is to list 10 bands you like in no particular order and then there are some questions that follow. So here is my list:

1. The Pixies
2. Wilco
3. REM
4. U2
5. Kelly Hogan/Jody Grind
6. Luna
7. Tom Waits
8. The Decemberists
9. Snow Patrol
10. 10,000 Maniacs

Now for the questions:

What was the first song you ever heard by 6?
Hmm, maybe "California"

What is your favorite album of 8?
Her Majesty the Decemberists, I think although Picaresque is pretty damn good too.

What is your favorite lyric of 5?
Well, she sings a lot of covers so the lyrics aren't really hers per se. But I love:
And now it's 55 years later
We've had the romance of the century
After all these years wrestling gators
I still feel like crying when I think of what you said to me:
"Papa was a rodeo
Mama was a rock n' roll band
I could play guitar and rope a steer before I learned to stand
Home was anywhere with diesel gas, love was a trucker's hand
Never stuck around long enough for a one night stand
Before you kiss me you should know, papa was a rodeo"
What a coincidence, your papa was a rodeo, too.

This makes me realize I neglected to put Magnetic Fields on my list...

How many times have you seen 4 live?
Once - in Lakeland, FL in 1996 (first show of the Zoo Station arena tour). I feel like I maybe saw them a second time but I can't remember now. Yikes.

What is your favorite song by 7?
Oh my goodness. I have to pick one? I guess "I Hope That I Don't Fall in Love With You" if I have to pick just one.

Is there a song of 3 that makes you sad?
"Nightswimming" makes me melancholy because it's so achingly beautiful.

What is your favorite lyric of 9?
It would have to be something from "Chocolate"

What is your favorite song by 1?
Again, if I have to pick just one I guess it would be "Gigantic"

How did you get into 8?
KEXP was playing them and I loved it. I love the tales Colin Malloy spins.

What is your favorite song by 4?
"Bad" and "Running to Stand Still" comes a close second

How many times have you seen 1 live?
2 times plus 2 songs (they walked out after playing two songs. I have heard tell that that "show" was the last one before they broke up but I've never researched it)

What is a good memory concerning 2?
Just about every time I've seen them live - 3 of the 4 times

Is there a song by 2 that makes you sad?
Several: "I Am Trying to Break Your Heart", "What's the World Got in Store"

What is your favorite song of 6?
"California"

How did you become a fan of 10?
Loren Jones put a couple of songs on a mix tape for me in 8th grade. I bought In My Tribe and was hooked.

2 Comments:

Blogger Billyearljr said...

Oh my, a Loren Jones reference. The world lost a good person when he died.

11 July, 2006

 
Blogger karen said...

I never knew that Loren's the one that got you into 10KM. Funny. Think of what a bond that's been between you and I, and because of him! This is how people live on, even when they're gone.
Oh, and Luna's California is my new ring tone, as of last Friday when my phone rang at work and I was embarrassed. Not because it rang, but because of how stupid my ringtone was. :)

17 July, 2006

 

Post a Comment

<< Home