Saturday, June 24, 2006

Pregnancy has its privileges

I've reached the stage where people are really, really nice to me. I had heard that this would happen and it's fun to experience it, especially in a city like New York. People smile at me, say congratulations in passing, they guess the sex and the other day I was waiting at a crosswalk when I guy pointed at my belly and then gave me the thumbs-up. So funny. I think I got a pregancy discount on a pair of shoes recently. This store employee seemed really determined to go with me to the check-out counter so he took the shoes from me and told the cashier a price that was $10 less than what was written on the price tag! Yesterday I was walking down the sidewalk past a construction sight and the guy with the orange flag, whose job it is to stop pedestrians to make way for some massive vehicle to pull out, stopped the vehicle instead and let me pass. Had I been having one of my more emotional days such a simple act of kindness would have moved me to tears. So, I may be missing out on yummy soft cheeses, rides at Coney Island, summer cocktails and wine tastings, but I am being compensated with the kindness of strangers.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home