Tuesday, June 13, 2006

My kingdom for a stroller

Inglesina. Zooper. Peg Perego. Unless you have a child or have been stroller shopping recently, you have no idea what these words mean. You are blissfully unaware of the importance of infant car seat compatibility, cup holders, snack trays, storage baskets and the one-handed umbrella fold, preferably a standing fold, thank you very much. Welcome to my world. Rich says I am obsessed and he's right, I am. In this city, stroller shopping is like car shopping. I walk everywhere and when I'm not walking, I'm on the subway so that means that whatever stroller I choose needs to be light enough for me to carry up and down subway stairs...and on the occasional times I take a cab, I need a stroller I can easily fold up with one hand (assuming the other one will be occupied holding a baby) and throw into the trunk. I have learned that many people have multiple strollers but those people must have vast amounts of storage space for them all and that is a luxury I do not have, even if we get a 2-bedroom apartment. I have accepted that there is no magic bullet stroller - there is something to be changed in all of them. However, I am getting a little frustrated with the fact that each time I think I have settled on one, I discover complaints about them - either unexpected things (Peg Perego's tend to have things break and their customer service is terrible) or things I hadn't considered (the importance of a one-handed fold - which the Zooper model I thought I'd settled on lacks - and this from a fellow New Yorker with a 10-month old, not a random suburban mom who only takes the stroller in and out of the trunk for a trip to the mall). Then there is the cost. Wouldn't you know that the one I have my eye on now (test-drive pending) is the most expensive one so far. It's no Bugaboo, the uber-trendy stroller that taunts me and costs about $1000 once you've purchased all the necessary accessories, but it ain't cheap and therefore I want to be sure I REALLY like it and won't be off stroller shopping in another year. I want this stroller to last awhile, at least until we possibly have another child and have to start researching double strollers....Lord help me.

2 Comments:

Blogger jason s said...

I say leave the kidn at home until they can walk. Easy-peasy. Might even motivate them to get off their lazy tushy sooner. Kids these days. Sheesh.

13 June, 2006

 
Blogger kelly rae said...

you're hilarious. i'd be obsessing, too. wonderful catching up with you today...
xoxo

13 June, 2006

 

Post a Comment

<< Home