Monday, March 13, 2006

Elevator amusement

In New York City people spend a lot of time commuting in elevators. I have discovered that this is a fascinating place to observe human behaviour. I suppose for those of you who have worked in tall office buildings this is nothing new but I have not so I am pretty new to this experience. Rich and I live on the 15th floor of our building so there is a lot of opportunity for observation. Generally, when I step on to an occupied elevator and someone steps into the one I am occupying I smile and usually say hello. If there is a conversation piece available i.e., a small child, a dog, a great pair of shoes, I will comment hopefully indicating to my fellow riders that I am innocuous. But sometimes, I have no choice in the matter. Like this morning. This morning I was heading down to the basement to do laundry and I made it as far as the 2nd floor before the elevator stopped to pick someone up. This guy, an older, middle-aged gentleman, got on and without even glancing at me hit the "L" button for the lobby and immediately turned and stood right in front of the door with his back to me. He seemed incredibly anxious to be as far away from me as possible. I was rather amused actually although I suppose he could have an anxiety disorder or something that makes him afraid of elevators or people or both. It's just so funny. Everyone feels awkward in an elevator but no one has come up with a solution to diffuse it.

1 Comments:

Blogger Alex S said...

This made me think of Leo Buscaglia who was a professor at USC and he said that he would always say hi very enthusiastically to people on campus and they would look at him like he was a lunatic, and then the next time he saw them, he would say it again and when they would say rudely, "Do I know you?" he would reply, "Yes! We met yesterday!"

13 March, 2006

 

Post a Comment

<< Home