Monday, November 27, 2006

Homesick

It's the eve of our one year anniversary of moving to New York City and I am finding myself missing Seattle just as much as ever. Oddly enough, I was listening to KEXP this morning and John was talking about the weather - cold and snowy. I hate snow, I hate cold and yet the memories of those days in Seattle gave me a jab of sadness. It's always fleeting, that kind of weather so I found I could enjoy it more knowing it would only be around for a day or two. I do like living in New York and even as I sat there nursing Theo and thinking about all the fun things we can do here when he's older like visiting all the museums, I still miss Seattle. I miss the Burke-Gilman Trail, I miss the trees, the tulips and daffodils in the spring, the mountains on a sunny day, the water, and even though I can see the Empire State Building and the Chrysler Building from the window of my apartment, I miss the freakin' Space Needle in my skyline. And then there are the friends. Janet and Nitin have a baby girl who is two months older than Theo and with both Nitin and Rich going to Vegas this weekend for Huda's bachelor party, I wish Janet and I could have a baby slumber party weekend. So, Kelly, don't beat yourself up so much over missing Portland. The Pacific NW is an amazing place to live so it's OK to miss it as much as we do.

Tomorrow I will try to write about all the things I love about living in New York City and what I have to look forward to in the years to come. But today, today I miss Seattle.

2 Comments:

Blogger Stacy said...

When I went to Seattle this August,it was the first time I'd been since I moved away in 99. It was cold and rainy, and yet...

27 November, 2006

 
Blogger kelly rae said...

there is something about the northwest that grabs your spirit and it just simply won't let go. i am missing portland and i realize i will miss it until we return. i need to call you!

27 November, 2006

 

Post a Comment

<< Home