Saturday, January 06, 2007

Whew

It's been ages since I last posted and in that time I have discovered more people who read my blog than I thought making me feel a bit guilty that this page has been dormant for so long. First of all, Happy New Year. Better late than never. The last month was filled with preparing for our trip to Florida for Christmas. Christmas shopping isn't easy with an infant so it was spread out over a few weeks and done in small increments. The plane ride down was unbelievably easy with him. We stood in line at Newark for over an hour and a half, were delayed at the gate for 1/2 hour, delayed on the runway for over an hour and then had a 2+ hour trip and Theo was an angel the entire time, sleeping for all but maybe 30 minutes of the whole process. We spent 4 1/2 days in Jupiter with the Bonneaus, then Christmas Eve we flew up to Jacksonville - again, slept almost the entire time from check-in to arrival. We then spent another 4 days with my family which went by way to fast for me. Saw my mom, my brother, my dad and Susan came in from Austin, Theo met his great-grandfather and namesake, saw some of my best friends including Kelly B. and her girls, Kelly Roberts and John, Ama, Nick and his girlfriend Tatjana, Brian and Sheila and , of course, our Kiki whom we are spoiled enough to see pretty regularly in New York too. Theo was doted upon by everyone - aunts, uncles, cousins, friends and of course, grandparents. He held up pretty well in the hubbub but I could watch him begin to melt down as he got passed around from person to person - good with the first person, a little fussy with the next and downright pissed by the next and last person. Christmas night he had his first real major meltdown at my Aunt Daria's house just in time for dinner. He was inconsolable. We even took him around the neighborhood in the car which did quiet him down for a bit but didn't put him to sleep which is what he needed. Finally after an hour he was tired and hungry enough to nurse (he was so upset he wouldn't even do that before). He finally fell asleep and I sat pinned to the couch refusing to move for the next 3 hours until it was time for us to go home. Wow. It was something else.

We have been back for about a week now. Rich and I spent New Year's playing Scrabble (I won, ahem) and then collapsed in bed shortly after midnight. A few days later our friends Eric and Ana came for a short visit en route from San Fran to Dresden where they will be working at the Max Planck Institute for the next year. Hopefully we will find the time and money for a visit while they are there.

So now here we are in January of 2007. Many new things lie ahead for us. There are so many milestones in the first year: he's already getting close to rolling over, then we have crawling, eventually walking, teeth, solid food, laughter, playing, sitting up, maybe some early words. It's going to be a big year.

He's awake now so I must end this but I will try to be better about keeping this thing up to date.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home